DEPARTMENT OF TIV LANGUAGE STUDIES
- GENERAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- A senior secondary school certificate (SSCE), (by WAEC or NECO) or GCE O’ level with passes in five subjects including English language, three of which must be at credit level at one sitting or four credits at two sittings. Two of the credits must be relevant to MI the course the candidate wishes to offer credit/merits in English language and/or mathematics may be required in some courses.
- A Grade II Teacher Certificate (TC II) with credits or merit in three subjects, two of which must be relevant to the course the candidate wishes to offer. Credit/merit in English language and/or Mathematics may be required in some courses.
- For candidates wishing to offer courses in vocational and technical education, RSA or city and guilds intermediate certificate with the Federal Craft Training with credit/merit in at least four subjects are acceptable qualification.
- Associate ship certificate in education awarded by an approved institution in Nigeria or Abroad, may be acceptable as qualification.
- All candidates wishing to be considered for admission must enroll for and write the selection examination organized by an accredited body such as JAMB
A credit or merit in Hausa language at the SSCE, WAEC/ GCE (O’ L) NECO or Teachers Grade II or T’-C plus any other requirements applicable to NCE programmes. A credit in English Literature is strongly recommended.
- GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
The minimum number of credits required for the award of NCE (TIV) certificate shall be as follows:
- General education – 36 Credits
- General studies – 14 Credits
- Teaching practice – 06 Credits
- Hausa – 42 Credits
- Any other teaching subjects – 36 Credits
Total – 128 Credits
- TEACHING PRACTICE
Every student is required to do teaching practice and the credit recorded in EDU 324.
Every student may be combined with TIV:
- Any Nigerian Language, Arabic, English or French.
- Any Arts or Social Sciences / Sciences subject as dictated by Local needs.
COURSE CODES AND TITLES FOR TIV DEPARTMENT
|COURSE CODE||COURSE TITLE||CREDIT||STATUS|
|First semester NCE I|
|TLS 111||History of the development of the TIV language||2||C|
|TLS 112||Basic description of TIV language||2||C|
|TLS 113||Basic formation of TIV sounds||2||C|
|TLS 114||Introduction to TIV oral literature||2||C|
|TLS 115||Introduction to TIV written Literature||2||C|
|Second semester NCE I|
|TLS 122||Benue people and cultures||2||C|
|TLS 124||The use of TIV language||2||C|
|TLS 125||TIV methodology||2||C|
|TLS 171||Introduction to linguistics||2||C|
|First semester NCE III|
|TLS 211||TIV basic Grammar||2||C|
|TLS 213||Culture and tradition||2||C|
|TLS 214||Research methods||2||C|
|Second semester NCE II|
|TLS 223||TIV oral and written Literature||2||C|
|TLS 227||Research methods||2||C|
|TLS 271||General Linguistics||2||C|
|First semester NCE III||Teaching practice|
|Second semester NCE III|
|TLS 311||TIV Advanced Grammar||2||C|
|TLS 312||Creative writing||2||C|
|TLS 321||TIV oral and written Literature||2||C|
|TLS 322||Literary appreciations||2||C|
|TLS 323||Research project||2||C|
|TLS 325||TIV methodology||2||C|