DEPARTMENT OF HAUSA LANGUAGE STUDIES
- General Admission Requirement Hausa L2, (Hausa L2) Syllabus
- A senior secondary school certificate (SSCE), (WAEC or NECO) or GCE O’ level with passes in five subjects including English language, three of which must be at credit level at one sitting or five credits at two sittings. Two of the credits must be relevant to the course the candidate wishes to offer credit/merits in English language and/or mathematics may be required in some courses.
- A Grade II Teacher Certificate (TC II) with credits or merit in three subjects, two of which must be relevant to the course the candidate wishes to offer. Credit/merit in English language and/or Mathematics may be required in some courses.
- For candidates wishing to offer courses in vocational and technical education, RSA or city and guilds intermediate certificate with the Federal Craft Training with credit/merit in at least four subjects are acceptable qualification.
- Successful candidates in the PRE-NCE final examinations or Interim Joint Matriculation Board (IJMB) who also took and passed in selection examinations by an accredited body are qualified for admission.
- All candidates wishing to be considered for admission must enroll for and write the selection examination organized by an accredited body such as JAMB.
- Additional Qualification
A credit or merit in Hausa language at the SSCE, WAEC / GCE (O/ L) NECO or Teachers Grade II or SISC plus any other requirements applicable to NCE programmes. A credit in English Language / Literature is strongly recommended.
- Graduation Requirements
The minimum number of credits required for the award of NCE (Hausa) certificate shall be as follows:
- General Education – 36 Credits
- General Studies – 14 Credits
- Teaching Practice – 06 credits
- Hausa – 42 Credits
- Any other teaching subject 36 Credits
Total – 128 Credits
- Teaching Practice
Every student is required to do teaching practice and the credit recorded in EDU 324.
Every student may be combined with Hausa:
- Any Nigerian Language, Arabic, English or French
- Any Arts or Social Science / Science subject as dictated by local needs.
- Course and Status
COURSE CODES AND TITLES FOR HAUSA DEPARTMENT
|COURSE CODE||COURSE TITLE||CREDIT||STATUS|
|FIRST SEMESTER NCE I|
|HAU 111||Oral communication in Hausa||2||C|
|HAU 112||Reading and Writing in Hausa||2||C|
|HAU 113||History and Culture of Hausa||2||C|
|Oral communication in HHH
|HAU 125||Acculturation to Kano||2||C|
|HAU/TLS 171||introduction to Linguistics||2||C|
|First Semester NCE II
|Communication in Hausa||2||C|
|HAU 212||further reading and Writing||2||C|
|HAU 213||Further history and Culture||2||C|
Second Semester NCE II
|HAU 221||Further Communication in Hausa||2||C|
|HAU/TLS 222||Translation, theory and practical||2||C|
|HAU/TLS 271||General linguistics||2||C|
|HAU 224||Introduction to phonology and orthography||2||C|
|HAU/TLS 225||Teaching method||2||C|
|FIRST SEMESTER NCE III||Teaching practice||2||C|
|SECOND SEMESTER NCE III|
|HAU 312||Introduction to Hausa linguistics studies|
|HAU 313||Hausa prose||2||C|
|HAU 314||Hausa poetry||2||C|
|HAU 321||Hausa drama||2||E|
|HAU 322||Advanced translation||2||E|
|PRH 013||Oral literature||3||C|
|PRH 015||Pre-recorded dialogue I||3||C|
|PRH 021||Phonetics and phonology||3||C|
|PRH 023||WRITTEN LITERATURE|
|PRH 025||PRE-RECORDED 2|